Wednesday, May 26, 2021

What turns me on [architecturally?]

 Mid Century Houses

Why?

 For me, they are always rooted in California. Maybe LA. And I like California. 

Can you build them somewhere else? 

I suppose there is nothing about their shape that would make them unsuitable in harsher climates. Maybe no more partially enclosed carports. 

Would they be "authentic"? 

Well, it's clearly not midcentury anymore. But we build in styles from bygone eras all the time. Or you could argue that modernistic architecture has done away with the idea of "eras" altogether, and we are in a post-style era. Which of course could be itself an era. 

What about them? 

I like their roofs. They are not extrusions or manipulations of the mass of the body of the house. Rather, they are thin, often starting to tilt away/beyond the house proper. They peel away and create clerestory windows. They extend and become carports, canopies, etc. They have a life of their own and they are not afraid to assert themselves.

Do I want to build one for myself? 

I think it'd be fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment