Monday, November 23, 2009

I Don't Think We're in NYC Anymore, Part 3

When I was trying to calibrate my expectations for our move to Albany, I often thought back to my time in Grand Rapids, Michigan as a barometer. Both are similar size cities that are primarily suburban in nature. After living in Brooklyn for nine years, it was hard to imagine what everyday life looks like elsewhere.

I remember when I was in Grand Rapids, I would go to Meijer, a huge chain supermarket in that area for all my shopping. I would buy everything from milk and eggs, to socks and pens there. The store was so huge that if you were in one part of the store and you remembered something you’d forgotten from a previous part of the store, you may very well chalk it up for your next visit to Meijer. You’d definitely park in the lot depending on what you wanted to pick up on the trip.

At Meijer, I’d often stand in line and wait for the customers to pay for their purchases by writing a check. They’d carefully fill in the required information (as well as their ledger), and tear it out and give their Driver’s License along with the check to the cashier’s. This is not common practice in New York City where purchases are made in cash or with credit/debit cards. I can’t recall too many instances of witnessing someone writing out a check at the supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment